Wednesday, August 22, 2007

On Life and Death


Today in my lit class we were dealing with some 18 century poets that wrote their own epitaphs(the words that will be written on your grave) because they wanted to set out how they wanted to be remembered once they were dead. That took me to think, how i want to be remembered once I am no more, which i will not share with anyone but my pillow. Other than that, it made me reflect on the fact that nobody wants to be forgotten. Now this is a very strong fear that most of the human race carries in their hearts, next to the fear of death. But the truth is that we will all be forgotten, some quicker than others but in the end, we will all be a distant scent of something that was a long time ago, that's how generations works. That's why i pity the persons that spend all their lives trying to be remembered for doing great things and leave behind the possibility of actually enjoying their life and doing the little things that really make us important and at some point, unforgetable. Don't live all your life planning what you will do with your future because as someone once said, the future is today. So go and enjoy the simple pleasures of life at least once a day, give someone unknown a friendly smile, hug your kids and tell them that you love them, eat a chocolate bombom, have a big ice cream with sprinkles on top, make love to the one you hold dear, enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, play with your pet, help your neighbor, jumpfrom a plane, do whatever you think will make an unforgetable moment. You can be thinking right know that those are meager, insignificant things, but go ahead, try it I can guarantee you it's worth it. And last butnot least, who cares if others remember you or not, what should be important is that when you look back to your memories you'll say, "I lived a meaningful life, yes, I'm ready to go"

1 comment:

Viv said...

Wow Snoopy! That was inspirational and beautiful. I try to do as you say many times, but I'm always stuck in the "ugh!" of the moment. I guess I should try to be more daring, open and spontaneous. I'll try...
Take great care and thanks for the post :)
V.