Monday, September 06, 2010

On Romantic Comedies and Real Relationships

I have a love hate relationship with romantic comedies. After all they are responsible for the nonsense and expectations about love and relationships that I built upon the years. However it feels nice to watch a fairy tale develop every now and then. For me, romantic comedies are the epitome of how un-real love can be. In romantic comedies people always end up happily ever after, impossible situations turn into perfect romantic moments and the boy always gets the girl he wants, it is formulaichly Shakespearean. Every one ends up paired and the bad people learn their their lesson. Sometimes I hope life was like that, but then I wake up and get myself a cup of real with two teaspoons of life. Even though in romantic comedies everything seems so perfect, I guess I would not trade the relationship I have right now for a fairy tale one. My point is that before choosing to be Jennifer Lopez in Maid in Manhattan, I prefer to be Tina Fey in Date Night, you know, to have the happily ever after after the happily ever after. To have someone to come home to, love and accept me even after the fairy tale wedding was over. I guess some people don't understand that. Why can't we have romantic comedies that focus on that, successful marriages, instead of unfaithfulness, flings and building relationships on a foundation of lies? Society complains for a lack of morals and values that society itself sells and promotes. I guess this world is a never ending loop of unsolvable paradigms, and,(realizing with a surprise reaction) we are stuck in it. (while jumping off the second floor)NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just kidding, I try but I just can avoid being a cynic. It's so much fun!

No comments: