Friday, March 02, 2012

Common Sense, apparently not that common anymore

     As some of you may know, in Puerto Rico it's illegal to transit the main roads in unauthorized vehicles and methods of transportation such as four tracks, bicycles, roller-skates, skate boards and unregistered scooters (just to name a few, you would be surprised the kind of vehicles I see on the road sometimes). However this does not stop some people, apparently born and raised in "hillbilly county" to "stick it to the man" and transit through the mentioned main roads not only in unauthorized vehicles but also without any type of protective gear.
     People don't think that, when they do stupid stuff like this they are not only augmenting the odds of damaging themselves; but also endangering the lives of innocent people who have nothing to do and should not have to pay the consequences of  their limited brain capacity.It is when I read news articles like this, that I sit for a moment and wonder: What could have gone through the mind of these individuals the moment they agree to these kind of life threatening decisions? In my mind it goes more or less like this:
"Uhmm, you know what girlfriend?
"What girl?
 "I'm feeling super douchy today, so I'm gonna' go put some lives at risk, including my own, to prove to my momma that I'm a grown up [and that I'm super cool of course ;)] and I know what I'm doing. Wanna join me?"
"Sure, why not? I mean, it's not like we could die, or kill someone or something with our majestically stupid behavior."
"Hell no girl, let's go."

     It is because of intelligent decisions like this one that so many  lives end up so tragically, so early. Hello! Extraordinarily smart girls in the vehicle, why can't you just take a moment to acknowledge that decisions have consequences; that you are not alone in the world and that unless you live in a deserted island, your decisions affect everyone around you? Maybe it's too much to ask because apparently, common sense, is not that common anymore.

Here's the link to both the article and the video:
http://www.elnuevodia.com/videos-noticias-transitanenfourtrackencarreteradecaguas-1483733185001.html

No comments: